Another big corruption case is rocking Europe. In Portugal, former prime minister Jose Sócrates has been charged in a wide-ranging scandal that involves alleged bribes, money laundering, falsifying documents and tax frauds.
As reported in the Financial Times, Sócrates faces 31 criminal counts and is just one among a group of 19 individuals suspected of corruption in a case that has been ongoing for more than three years. In fact, on the whole it is the largest corruption case in Portugal’s history.
As reported in the Financial Times:
State prosecutors allege that €24m was channelled into Swiss bank accounts between 2006 and 2009 with a view to making illicit payments to Mr Sócrates or his associates on behalf of companies or individuals who obtained “commercial benefits” from decisions made by the former prime minister.
Investigators said they had questioned more than 200 witnesses, searched about 200 premises and examined 500 bank accounts before bringing charges. Information from Swiss banking authorities and the leaked Panama Papers are also understood to have played a significant role in the investigations, according to analysts.
The case is just another disturbing reminder of the rampant and widespread abuses that happen worldwide among different levels of politics and influence. That’s why CRI Certification offers expert training, resources and best practices on how to counter corruption and bribery on every level. After all, such risks can lead to damage to brand and reputation, not to mention financial harm and possible legal repercussions.
CRI Group’s experts are trained in regulatory issues and can grade your organisation’s level of compliance with the FCPA, the UK Bribery Act and other anti-corruption legislation.
Our ISO 37001:2016 Anti-Bribery Management System Certification will help your company, organisation or department to reduce risk of bribery and corruption by establishing, implementing, maintaining and improving your management system which shall:
- Give your company the tools it needs to prevent bribery and mitigate related risks
- Help your company create new and better business partnerships with entities that recognise your certified status, including supply chain manufacturing, joint ventures, pending acquisitions and co-marketing alliances
- Potentially reduce corporate insurance premiums
- Provide your customers, stakeholders, employees and partners with confidence in your business operations and ethics
- Provide a competitive edge over non-certified organisations in your industry or niche
- Provide acceptable evidence to prosecutors or courts that the organisation has taken reasonable steps to prevent bribery and corruption
To learn more about enrolling your organisation in ISO 37001:2016 Anti-Bribery Management System Certification, and how your company can be protected from risks of bribery and corruption, visit CRICerification.com.